Since my daughter isn't a fan of meat, we adapted this meatless bamia recipe. We cook okra during the summer season when it's at the peak of its season, at it's most affordable fresh, and most importantly full of flavor. Okra can also be frozen for the winter.
- ½ kg Okra [Bamia] (rinsed and stems trimmed off)
- ½ kg Tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 2 large Onions (sliced)
- 10-12 cloves Garlic (sliced)
- 1 medium Lemon (juiced)
- 1 large Green Pepper, Sweet Or Hot (diced)
- Salt & Pepper
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Water (Warm)
In a pot
- Sweat the Onions in the oil.
- Stir in most of the Garlic.
- Toss in the Tomato and add the Water.
Let it boil.
Cover and Let it boil for 15 minutes on low heat.
- Add the rest of the Garlic, the Peppers, the Salt & Pepper.
- Cook until the okra cooks thoroughly and the sauce has thickened.
We eat this dish served on top of a simple rice pilaf.
The accompanying sides include french fries, green peppers, pickles.