- 500 g ground beef, fatty, medium grind
- 2-3 medium potatoes (sliced)
- 4-5 medium tomatoes (peeled & sliced)
- 1 small onion (minced)
- 2 tbsp vegetable Oil
- 2-3 tbsp parsley (minced)
- 2-3 tbsp bread crumbs (soaked in 2 tbsp water)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp butter or shortening - if beef is lean
In a pan
- sweat the onions in the oil.
In a Bowl
- mix the bread crumbs, the ground beef and the parsley.
- Spice the mix with salt and pepper and the red pepper flakes.
- Incorporate the onion with the oil.
In a casserole
- Make palm-sized patties and layer them tightly at the bottom of the casserole.
- Add a layer of sliced potatoes on top.
- Add another layer of sliced tomatoes on top.
- Melt the tomato paste in the water and pour the mixture over the casserole.
- Spice up the dish with salt and pepper.
- Add dollops of shortening or butter around if the beef wasn't fatty.
In a hot oven
- Cook covered with a piece of parchment paper for about 20 mins after it boils.
- Uncover and cook for another 20 mins or until the sauce has thickened and the top is golden.