- 2 kg broad beans in the pod (snapped and/or seeded)
- 2 medium onions (diced)
- 8-10 cloves garlic (diced)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups water
In a pressure cooker
- Sautè the onion and half of the garlic in the oil.
- Toss in the snapped broad bean pods and seeds.
- Cover the pot and periodically toss the ingredients until the broad bean pods are translucent.
- Add the water and close the cooker.
- After the cooker whistles, lower the heat and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
Let rest for 30 minutes before opening the cooker.
- Open the cooker, and turn on the heat.
- Add the tomato paste, the remaining garlic, and the spices.
- Cook on low heat for 30 minutes or until the water evaporates.
This is one of our favorite dishes and it's almost always served with a dollop of garlic yogurt on top and loads of french fries on the side.
We eat this meal with pita bread.