- 500 g ground beef, fatty, medium grind
- 2-3 medium potatoes (sliced)
- 4-5 medium tomatoes (peeled & sliced)
- 1 small onion (minced)
- 2 tbsp vegetable Oil
- 2-3 tbsp parsley (minced)
- 2-3 tbsp bread crumbs (soaked in 2 tbsp water)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp butter or shortening - if beef is lean
In a pan
- sweat the onions in the oil.
In a Bowl
- mix the bread crumbs, the ground beef and the parsley.
- Spice the mix with salt and pepper and the red pepper flakes.
- Incorporate the onion with the oil.
In a casserole
- Make palm-sized patties and layer them tightly at the bottom of the casserole.
- Add a layer of sliced potatoes on top.
- Add another layer of sliced tomatoes on top.
- Melt the tomato paste in the water and pour the mixture over the casserole.
- Spice up the dish with salt and pepper.
- Add dollops of shortening or butter around if the beef wasn't fatty.
In a hot oven
- Cook covered with a piece of parchment paper for about 20 mins after it boils.
- Uncover and cook for another 20 mins or until the sauce has thickened and the top is golden.
we eat this dish on top of rice pilaf.
We don't start digging in until there are some pickles on the table.