- 6-8 pieces Chicken, raw (disjointed, rinsed and pat dried)
- 2 cups Rice, long grain (rinsed and drained)
- 3 tbsp Vegetable oil
- A handful Raisins - optional
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 Bay leaves
- Nuts, raw, Any Kind (toasted or fried) - optional
In a bowl
- Mix all the Spices together.
- Spice the Chicken pieces with part of the Spice Mixture.
If you have time, leave in the fridge to rest for a few hours with the bay leaves.
In a pot, then a colander
- Boil the Rice in salt water for 15 minutes.
- Drain in a Colander.
- Spice with the same Spice Mixture to taste.
- Stir in the Raisins (optional).
In a pressure cooker
- Line the chicken pieces in the bottom of the pressure cooker.
- Add the bay leaves on top.
- Cover with the spiced rice mixture.
- Spoon the oil over the rice.
- Close the presser cooker.
- Cook on the smallest eye of the stove-top on high for 15 minutes.
- Lower the heat and cook for 45 minutes or a little more if you like your chicken browned.
Wait until the cooker is cold enough to open.
Turn the pot upside down onto a serving dish. Remove any chicken pieces stuck to the bottom of the cooker and add them to the serving dish.
Sprinkle the toasted or fried nuts on top and serve with a salad, garlic yogurt or ayran.
Complimentary sauce: Gravy*
* If any burned or stuck chicken bits remain in the pot, you can make a roux based gravy out of them that goes perfectly well with this dish.