- 4 cups flour (sifted)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 tbsp instant yeast
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/4 tbsp White Pepper Powder
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups water (warm)
- 1 1/2 kg spinach leaves (rinsed & minced)
- 2 medium onions (minced)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp citric salt
- Salt & pepper
In a bowl
- Rub all the dry ingredients EXCEPT the salt with the oil.
- Knead with the water until a dough is formed.
- Add the salt and knead one last time only to incorporate the salt.
Let the dough rest (ferment).
In a colander
- Salt the minced spinach.
let it wilt.
- Squeeze out the excess water and set aside.
In a pan
- Sweat the onion in the oil.
- Stir in the spices. (When adding the salt, do not forget that the spinach is already salted.)
Let it cool.
- Stir in the Spinach
On a counter top
- Either shape the dough into small balls and roll them out into 1/2 cm thick disks, or roll out bigger batches of dough and use a cutter to have even-sized disks.
- Put some of the filling in the middle of each disk.
- Fold each circle into a triangle.
On a greased baking sheet
- Arrange the bureks 2 cm apart.
- Brush or spray them with oil.
In a hot oven
- Bake them until they are golden.
We serve spinach burek as a side dish to any soup.
You can serve spinach burek as an appetizer or a salty snack.
Some people like to squeeze lemon on the filling while they take bites into these yummy bureks.