- 12 cups water
- 1 cup red split lentils (washed and drained)
- 1/4 cup short grain rice (washed and drained)
- 1 medium potato (diced) - optional
- 1 medium carrot (diced) - optional
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 small onion (minced)
- Lemon juice
- Red pepper flakes
In a pot
- Boil the water, the pulses, and the vegetables on high heat.
- Skim the foam off until the soup is clear.
- Lower the heat.
In a pan
- Cook the small minced onion in the oil until it starts to change color.
In the pot
- Add the cooked onion with the oil to the boiling soup.
- Cook uncovered until the soup thickens.
- Add the salt and turn off the heat.
In a blender
- Blend the soup until smooth.